Grand Rounds is a weekly lecture series attended by all PCOM surgical residents. In addition to PCOM surgical residents, various attending surgeons are in attendance, along with medical students on surgical rotations. Grand Rounds is an excellent educational experience, designed to review the most clinically relevant up-to-date information, while also ensuring that residents are prepared for board exams.
Grand Rounds are held on Wednesdays from 8 am-12 pm, on the third floor of Evan’s Hall. Medical students are welcome to join us.
The structure of Grand Rounds varies on a weekly basis, but generally consists of the following:
- Medical Student Presentations, 8:00-8:30 AM
- Intern Lecture, 8:30-9:00 AM
- Attending Lectures
- Basic Science Lecture
- Junior Resident Lectures
- Grand Rounds Lecture, an all-inclusive review of a topic presented by a senior resident
- Journal Club
- Morbidity & Mortality Conference
- Review questions taken from SCORE (Surgical Council on Resident Education)
Schedule of Grand Rounds Topics by week:
- Aug 3: Stomach
- Aug 10: Esophagus
- Aug 17: Parathyroid
- Aug 24: Thyroid
- Aug 31: MEN, cutaneous malignancies
- Sept 7: Skills lab
- Sept 14: Biliary disease
- Sept 21: Appendix, diverticular disease
- Sept 28: Colorectal
Of note, all PCOM surgical residents are provided with free access to SCORE. SCORE is an extremely useful educational resource that is used by surgical residents at residency programs across the country. It provides residents with a comprehensive collection of curriculum tools, including 500 modules, 11 textbooks, videos of surgical procedures, and more than 2000 self-assessment questions.